Counselling & Technology
Online counselling therapy is a way for you the client to engage in counselling using internet technology such as webcam or telephone.
The availability of internet technology enables you to direct your counselling through your own chosen method of communication.
You can choose the time, the place, and the pace of your counselling to suit your needs.
Every effort is made to provide a safe and secure environment for your online therapy with encrypted software to secure and protect your confidentiality.
Webcam is a way for you to see your counsellor face-to-face from your computer whilst engaging in therapy.
Visually seeing your counsellor offers more of the benefits you get from face-to-face counselling with the added convenience of online therapy.
Communicating through talking, you hear tones in the voice, which is a way to convey empathy and with video you see nonverbal communications such as facial expressions.
If this is your choice of communication, you will be guided to set up your own encrypted video conferencing account through Zoom where you will meet your counsellor at a time that you and your counsellor have both previously arranged.
The advantages of telephone counselling are non-verbal communication can be carried through your tone of voice or the pace of speech which can be picked up or sensed by your counsellor.
A disadvantage of telephone counselling is that you need a private room where you will not be overheard.
Online counselling offers certain benefits but there are also limitations that are worth bearing in mind when deciding which type of medium is best suited to your therapy needs.
Why Online Counselling?
- Counselling therapy can be received from your own home
- Secure encrypted software offers confidentiality and peace of mind
- No chance that you may be seen entering the counselling practice
- Therapy at a time, place and pace that suits you
- Access to counselling may be more immediate
- Flexibility to choose the technology you feel is best for you: telephone or webcam
- Are you comfortable using internet technology?
- Would you prefer to see your counsellor face to face?
- Do you feel your situation is too complex to discuss via the internet?
- Is there a computer or telephone that you can use privately without interruption?
- There is no body language for you or the counsellor to read, this could lead to misunderstanding